23 May 2023
Italian-owned pharmaceutical companies are making significant strides in the global market, thanks to their deep-rooted processes of internationalisation, investment, and innovation.
A recent study by the Nomisma Observatory has highlighted the state of the main pharmaceutical companies with Italian capital and their distinguishing characteristics.
With a turnover of EUR 14.3 billion in 2022, Italian pharmaceutical companies have a competitive edge over their global counterparts. Read on to discover how these companies achieved an impressive 12.6% increase in revenue and the key factors that contribute to their success.
Competitive Leverage of Italian-Owned Pharmaceutical Companies
Italian-owned pharmaceutical companies have a unifying competitive leverage: their propensity to invest. They have several key characteristics that set them apart from their global counterparts. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- Strong Research and Development Focus: Italian drug manufacturers are known for their strong emphasis on research and development. They invest heavily in developing new drugs and therapies, and many have established partnerships with universities and research institutions to stay at the forefront of scientific innovation.
- Specialization in Specific Therapeutic Areas: Many Italian drug manufacturers specialize in specific therapeutic areas, such as oncology, neurology, rare diseases and cardiovascular diseases. This specialization has enabled them to become leaders in these fields and develop a deep understanding of the specific medical needs of patients.
- Family-Owned Businesses: Many Italian drug manufacturers are family-owned businesses, which has allowed them to maintain a long-term perspective on their operations and investments. This has enabled them to make strategic decisions that prioritize sustainable growth over short-term profits.
- Focus on Quality and Safety: Italian drug manufacturers have a strong commitment to producing high-quality and safe drugs. They adhere to strict manufacturing and quality control standards, and many have established internal processes to ensure that their products meet or exceed regulatory requirements.
- International Presence: Italian drug manufacturers have a significant presence in the global market, with many exporting their products to countries around the world. They have established partnerships and collaborations with international companies to expand their reach and access new markets.
Significant Growth Exhibited by Top Italian Pharmaceutical Companies
According to the Nomisma report, the 13 most important pharmaceutical companies with Italian capital have shown significant growth in recent years and a strong dedication to international markets. The report reveals that the top 13 players achieved a 12.6% increase in revenues on the back of exports (+14.9%), investments (+25%), and innovation (EUR 1.6 billion in 2022), demonstrating their excellence on an international scale. The foreign market accounts for 72.6% of total sales.
The growth is driven by investment and innovation, as evidenced by EUR 3.4 billion invested in 2022 (+25% compared to 2021). R&D investments have grown at an average rate of 13.5% over the last three years.
Partner with AIMS International Life Sciences Experts
AIMS International Life Sciences team helps companies establish and grow their organizations.
The team has deep expertise in the industry and can provide valuable insights and support for any Life Science company investing internationally.
Note: The information is taken from the Nomisma Observatory’s snapshot of ‘Le Fab13: la farmaceutica a capitale italiano’, which analyzed the 13 leading national pharmaceutical brands which are Alfasigma, Abiogen Pharma, Angelini Pharma, Chiesi Farmaceutici, Dompé farmaceutici, I.B.N.Savio, Italfarmaco, Kedrion, Menarini, Molteni, Mediolanum farmaceutici, Recordati and Zambon.