The term outplacement refers to the professional and psychological support within the career reorientation of individuals facing job loss. Outplacement is usually paid for by the employer and is provided by independent and specialized consultants.
Historically, the term «Outplacement» appeared in the United States after the Second World War as a strategy to support former soldiers returning from service who were experiencing difficulties re-entering the labour market.
An outplacement program (or career transition program) can be set up because of insufficient/inadequate performance of certain employees or when a company has to cope with restructuring related to mergers or takeovers, or because it is simply no longer sufficiently competitive and downsizing measures have become unavoidable in order to ensure better efficiency and higher profitability.
It is never easy for an employer to have to dismiss one or more employees, which is why outplacement programs provided by external consultants can be a very valuable service for all parties involved and offer various benefits.
However, not all outplacement programs provide the same value. If the company invests in such a service, it is essential that everyone benefit from it. At AIMS International, we have developed a unique programme combining the resources of several specialists that can benefit all parts involved. You will find below:
The benefits for the employer (compliance with social responsibility standards, motivation of employees internally, promotion of the company’s image externally)
The benefits for the person concerned by the outplacement (rebounding and developing a new professional project in line with one’s skills and motivational factors)
The benefits of our approach (no confusion between the roles of coach and consultant, three experts working hand in hand with the outplacement candidate)
For the employer
- An outplacement program allows the employer to meet the standards of social responsibility towards its employees.
In this way, employees are treated in a fair and ethical manner. This kind of service is at the very heart of sustainable human resources management and development. It is therefore important for the employer to not only successfully recruit and integrate new employees, but also to ensure their successful departure or exit.
- It also allows the employer to protect his reputation both internally and externally.
Internally, employees who are not affected by dismissals can continue to be productive and motivated because they are aware that the company is managing the restructuring process fairly, i.e. in a caring, efficient and sustainable manner, while maintaining good relationships, and promoting communication and transparency with all its employees.
Externally, outplacement programmes strengthen the attractiveness and perceived social responsibility and exemplarity of companies. They also promote a positive image with various stakeholders such as shareholders, customers, suppliers, etc., as well as on social networks and the web in general.
For the person concerned by the outplacement program
- Allows the person involved to rebound.
When we are made redundant, our need for security, inherent in every human being, is directly affected. It is therefore important that we find our bearings again in order to overcome the loss, to understand and accept the situation and return to a “less sinuous”, straighter path, with full awareness and knowledge of who we are, what we want and don’t want and thus be able to formulate a new professional project.
- Offers a safe, non-judgmental and solution-oriented space.
- Offers professional and psychological support to help the person go through all the stages of the transition and find the courage to see both the positive and negative aspects.
- Increases self-confidence and positiveness through a better understanding of one’s personality, deepest aspirations, needs and value system.
- Allows to enter a laboratory where the person can explore, develop their creativity, imagination, get out of their comfort zone and make choices that are more and more relevant and in tune with oneself.
- Allows one to keep moving and provides direction.
Why work with AIMS International Switzerland?
We offer a unique outplacement service, resulting from the combination of three experts, working hand in hand to support the individual in developing a job search strategy that is in line with their personality, interests and core values.
- An experienced coach, with a background in psychology, whose aim is to provide a space in which the person can feel listened to and reassured, as well as professional support on which they can rely to get through all the stages of the professional transition (overcoming the job loss / area of uncertainty / new beginning). First, one analyses their self-image and their projected image. Then, after a skills assessment, the person will become aware of their strengths and areas in need of development. After an analysis of their emotional and social skills, they will also be able to understand their emotional and relational patterns and recognise what obstacles may hinder them in their professional development and how to overcome them. The analysis of values and motivational drivers will enable the person to become aware of their basic needs and expectations in relation to their future job. Once there is clarity about the different aspects of their personality, interests and basic needs, they will be in a position to set realistic goals and make more responsible, sustainable, coherent and meaningful choices.
- An Executive Search consultant with a thorough knowledge of the labour market, the various industries and the expectations of employers. They accompany the individual in the development of a job search strategy that includes the development of an individual action plan and the appropriate use of networking techniques. They are also in the best position to simulate a job interview with the person concerned and to give them relevant and concrete feedback on it. This practical information will enable the person to gain self-confidence, be prepared and have the right attitude during job interviews. They also accompany the person during contract negotiations and to prepare and debrief contacts with potential employers. They can also offer support when the person starts in their new position (onboarding).
- An expert in the use and promotion on social networks, professional networks/portals and in self-marketing. They will provide all the advice and techniques to make the person visible, to increase their online presence and above all, to awaken the interest and curiosity of potential employers. They will support the person in the development and valorisation of an application file that takes into account his or her talents, singularity (personal brand) and added value.
Our outplacement services are intended for managers and specialists. They are provided remotely and face-to-face, with different program durations. They are available in English and in all national languages. Contact us for more information.