Career transition at senior level is difficult as there are fewer opportunities and plenty of tough competition. More and more executives are using career coaches to gain competitive advantage – Many of the best business leaders engage executive coaches. Career coaching or outplacement programmes help executives navigate career transition more effectively. Engaging a career coach can substantially improve competitiveness, marketability and ultimately the success of your job search and long-term career.
If your strategy to date has been to send out multiple copies of your Curriculum Vitae and hope for the best, you will quickly discover that this doesn’t work. Even if you have the best LinkedIn profile, it is not a guarantee of success.
A good career coach will help you articulate with impact your highest and best use to a company and develop an effective job search strategy to secure your ideal position.
There many benefits of hiring a career coach:
- It can significantly reduce the time it takes to find your ideal position.Many executives are unsure how to articulate what value they can bring to an organisation and how to pitch themselves effectively.
- Creating a Vision. Vision guides you! Many executives lack clarity on their ideal position and company and this can be a significant disadvantage. If your vision is not clear, then you cannot develop an effective strategy to achieve it. In simple terms, if you are going on a business trip or holiday, you would not arrive at the airport without knowing where you were going. Your destination guides your choice of airline and ultimately which terminal to arrive at. Your career transition journey is no different.
- Create an impactful Curriculum Vitae / Resume and LinkedIn profile. The purpose of a Curriculum Vitae is to get the interview and not the job. Therefore, it must articulate sufficient information to create interest and encourage an employer, executive search consultant, headhunter or recruiter to contact you. BUT…. not too much information! Most Curriculum Vitae’s lack impact, are poorly written and in many cases are a cut and paste of a job description with little attention given to achievements. Remember that the attention given to a Curriculum Vitae by a recruiter or potential employer is very short – so making a fast impact is essential!
- Develop your networking skills. Approximately 70% of jobs are found by networking, 20% through Executive Search Firms or Recruitment Agencies and 10% through job advertisements e.g. LinkedIn, Irishjobs.ie, Executive Jobs. Yet many people spend up to 70% of their time replying to jobs online – many of which do not exist. A comprehensive networking strategy is an essential ingredient of any job search Effective networking provides a focused way to talk to people about your job search and can help you obtain leads, referrals, advice, information, support and most importantly uncover hidden executive jobs. A good career coach will help you review various opportunities, networking events, existing contacts, developing new contacts and how to prioritise those that could generate the best results.
- Preparation for interview and the overall assessment and selection process. We tailor interview preparation to each job our clients apply for. Most organisations now have comprehensive recruitment and selection processes consisting of competency-based interviews, psychometric assessments and Having someone help you prepare for this puts you at a distinct advantage versus your competition. In our career coaching practice, we help Executives identify and segment their achievements across their entire career and then help them articulate them in a structured and impactful format. This process alone greatly assists Executives in interview preparation. Remember …. 90% preparation = 10% perspiration. 10% preparation = 90% perspiration!
- A good career coach will hold you accountable for the goals you have set, offer valuable advice, challenge you and provide invaluable expertise. Inevitability, there will be setbacks throughout your job search journey and your coach will be there to pick you back up and encourage you to keep focussed and face your next challenge with renewed confidence and enthusiasm.
- Onboarding into your new position. The first six months of any position can be critical for both the organisation and the new Executive. On the one hand the hiring organisation will need to see evidence of added value from the new Executive. On the other the newly appointed Executive will need to feel that he/she has made the right career decision. Various sources of research have shown that the average executive failure rate within the first 18 months is approximately 40%! A career coach can help with embedding and securing the success of the new relationship and provide a confidential environment to discuss goals, objectives and any potential issues that may arise.
Remember that the true value of any executive coaching programme is gained from the work you put in between sessions.
At AIMS International we provide 121 coaching for executives who are in career transition or planning to change jobs. We tailor a structured programme appropriate for the needs of each individual which results in a professional and effective job search campaign and improved confidence. Our career coaching service can include:
- Skills and competency assessment
- Psychometric Assessment
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume preparation
- Development of a Comprehensive Achievements Profile Document
- Development of a Job Search Marketing Plan
- Effective networking
- Engaging effectively with Executive Search Consultants
- Interview training
- Job contract and salary negotiation
For executives looking for a more effective alternative to traditional outplacement, our Career Coaching programme provides unique and highly customised support on how to conduct a professional job search campaign. Our experience in Executive Search means we can also provide unique perspectives, advice and expertise given our active involvement in search and selection processes with major multinational companies. This keeps us up to date with what potential employers are looking for in an ideal candidate.
To book a complimentary no-obligation consultation please contact me on +353 86 807 4211 or email me on email@example.com
Written by: Ken McIntyre-Barn, Managing Partner, AIMS International Ireland