4 February 2021
If you are searching for a job in 2021, there is a high chance that you will be required to participate in an online interview. You will need to be prepared and ensure you have the resources and technology available to ace the interview. Whilst most of the basic rules still apply, as in this article Tips and Tricks: Episode 6, there are a number of additional tips to follow in order to be successful in the hunt for a job in the digital age;
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection: be sure to double check so as to avoid any technical difficulties during the interview.
- Familiarize yourself with the technology to be used during the interview, especially if you will be presenting or asked to share examples of your work.
- Ensure your computer software is updated and test your camera and microphone.
- Lighting is very important; avoid dark shadows. Try to find a room in your home that has natural lighting or add a desk lamp if the room is dark. Don’t sit with the window behind you to avoid looking like a dark silhouette. Ensure the camera angle is good and the lens should be clean.
- Create some dimension by having a plant or a picture between you and the wall behind you.
- Make sure there is no one around to distract you or the interviewer: Get a pet- or babysitter for the duration of the call.
- Dress professionally: yes it may be an online interview in the comfort of your own home but you should still look the part. As the saying goes “ you dress how you want to be addressed”.
- Posture: sit up straight and look directly at the camera the whole duration of the interview, it shows you are engaged and present.
- If you are participating in a panel interview, keep your microphone muted until you need to speak to avoid speaking over the interviewers.
- Be punctual: you don’t want to log in too early in case you gatecrash another interview or meeting and of course NEVER log in late.
For further tips, click on the image below to watch the video and check out our podcast.